The 8(a) Business Development Programs an effective tool for providing small businesses with support to help them compete for and win federal government contracts, and in turn put them in the best possible position to drive economic growth and create jobs,” SBA Administrator Karen Mills said.
There are over $500 billion set-aside for Federal contracts, there are also State, County and Private contracts available.
Do I qualify to become a 8a certified business?
1) The business must be owned and operated by individuals who are socially or/and economically disadvantaged.
Socially disadvantaged individuals are defined as racial and ethnic minorities ( Afro American, Hispanic, Asian, American Indian) who can show business discrimination. An economically disadvantaged individual is one whose net worth is less than $250,000, not including the value of his residence and business. The business must be owned and operated by individuals who are socially or economically disadvantaged. Socially disadvantaged individuals are defined as racial and ethnic minorities who can show business discrimination. An economically disadvantaged individual is one whose net worth is less than $250,000, not including the value of his residence and business.
2) Your business needs to be operating for two years or the principals have experience in the business.
3) 51% of the principals must be American citizens.
- Must offer products and services suited for federal contracts. Most federal contracts fall into the industries of construction, information technology, manufacturing, landscaping, security services and office support services. Your business must be large enough to successfully pursue and win federal prime contracts. This is roughly determined by a minimum of $250,000 in gross sales for the previous year. Previous contracting experience with state or federal agencies is required as a way of demonstrating contracting experience.
- To benefit from this program, your business goals must be in line with the objectives of the 8(a) program, that is, to grow your business through the acquisition of federal prime contracts. While you may qualify as a business owner for the program, your business will not qualify if your goals and objectives are out of the scope of federal contracting.
Bettinara Enterprises, Inc. has successfully done hundreds of cases and can evaluate your business and identify if you qualify. We are a full service company and may provide you the complete package that includes:
Business analysis and review
- Online Application
◦ SAM Application
◦ ORCA Review
* NAICS Code identification
◦ Obtains DUNS Number, If Required
◦ CCR Registration Review
- Set-Aside evaluation and application of:
◦ Disadvantage business.
◦ Women own business
◦ Veterans own business
◦ Hub Zone
- 8(a) Consulting Assistance
◦ Explanation of process
◦ Financial and Tax Documentation Review
◦ Development of Capability statement
◦ Personal Financial Statement Review
◦ Development of Statement of Economic/Social Disadvantage
◦ Corporate Documentation analysis, upkeep and update
* Telephone, mail and e mail support and follow up
* Preparation of tabulated copies
* Development of 8a business plan
* Training on Federal government website to identify
* Identification of potential contracts
* Assistance with Federal government terminology
Other correspondence and follow up services. We are confident that we will provide all services necessary for you to obtain your government contract if available.